Friday, October 24, 2008

Book Review: Fever 1793



The book Fever 1793 is about a girl named Matilda Cook who lives in Pittsburg Pennsylvania during an outbreak of yellow fever. Matilda faces many hardships in the book. In the beginning of the book Matilda is like a childish character. As she progresses through the book you can kind of see her make a huge jump from childhood to adulthood.

The character that influences Matilda is an orphan girl named Nell. Matilda chooses to look after Nell because she to knows what its like not to have someone to look after her. Looking after Nell teaches Matildia how to be responsible. Matilda transforms from a self-centered child to a responsible adult. In less than a year Matilda has made a drastic change. In the end Matilda gets to raise Nell.

I liked the book because it shows the hardships of loseing grandparents. The thing in the book that I can relate to in the book Fever 1793 is Matilda loseing her grand father because I to lost my grandmother. I and Matilda both lost a grandparent that was close to our hearts. I would suggest this book to a kid who ether was adopted or lost a grandparent or who loves history.